Re: 4.7 sucks for towing

From: Andrew Kelsey (ajkelsey@grandroyal.org)
Date: Sat Jul 02 2011 - 07:12:27 EDT

On 7/2/2011 00:04, Barry Oliver wrote:

> So, I used my '00 Durango [4.7] to drag my motorcycle trailer up to a
> track weekend today. Good lord the 4.7 is a rev-happy weakling!!! 65 mph
> on flat road should not require 6k rpm in second gear to achieve.
> CRAP!!! My Dak with the 5.2 tows WAAAY better. So, the 4.7 is faster
> than my 5.2, but the 5.2 pulls better and oddly enough gets better
> mileage while doing it.
>
> So, is swapping a 318/360 into a 4.7 durango that hard of a task?

Is this an automatic transmission you are complaining about? Sounds
like there may be something wrong with it if it stayed in 2nd gear until
65 mph. I once overloaded my truck with 2200 pounds of dirt. Didn't
have any problem getting the truck up to 55 mph on the highway with that
load. I have a 5 speed manual 4.7.

--
-Andrew Kelsey
  E-mail: ajkelsey@grandroyal.org