helper springs?

From: Eric (huffy340@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 20 2011 - 11:36:20 EDT

Are they a bad idea?

I have a 99 club cab, 2WD. After putting a hitch receiver on it
(which i pretty much just use for a bike rack), I occasionally drag
a little when using steep driveways, or at some gas stations where
they have that big valley at the road. It's really only an issue
when the bike rack is in, since it sticks out of the hitch.

Anyway, my springs don't look like they are sagging when unloaded
or lightly loaded, but after 130k miles, they may very well need
replaced.

So, are helper springs a reasonable short term solution? I am
doing a little trip in a few weeks, and might be nice to get it
done before then. But i don't want the risk or have the time to
change the rear springs.

If you all say helpers are bad, i'll just wait and get springs.
Otherwise, it could be a nice easy fix before the trip.

Oh, here is what I am considering, since i can get them fast:

http://www.amazon.com/Hellwig-1250-Level-Helper-Spring/dp/B001UFXS26/ref=au_pf_pfg_s?ie=UTF8&Model=Dakota|299&n=15684181&s=automotive&Make=Dodge|40&Year=1999|1999&newCar=1&carId=001

Thanks!
Eric