RE: Re: Little tube thingy on the end of the starter: what is (was) it?

From: Tom Coulter (metalshop@optonline.net)
Date: Mon Jul 25 2011 - 07:26:20 EDT

Good comment, Jim. All joking aside, the baffles must be there to help keep
the tube free of road splash, and thus the starter drain clean. What
puzzles me as I think about it is how the starter would ever accumulate
water in the first place. The tube as a breather makes more sense but even
that makes me scratch my head (not sure I've ever seen a starter configured
w/ a breather). Any thoughts on this?

Tommy