Re: Re: crankless in sc

From: Eric (huffy340@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Sep 05 2011 - 10:54:09 EDT

On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 10:36:36 -0400 mike wrote:

> >> Starter relay?

> > Could be, but the loud click makes me think that the relay is
> > ok, and the solenoid is pulling in to engage the starter. I
> > haven't had to deal with a worn out starter solenoid in a
> > Dakota, but my old truck (Isuzu) used to wear
> >
> we took the old starter out and carried it to autozone. they
> checked it and said it was fine. we had already tried the ford
> starter tool and no help. installed a reman starter, and the
> symptoms are the same

Well, i think you just need to get in there with a voltmeter and
see where you aren't getting a voltage that you should.

To me it sounds like a relay/solenoid is moving but not making
contact.

What is the setup like on this? Same as old mopars with a small
relay on the fender (or wherever), and big solenoid built into the
starter?

It *shouldn't* be hard to figure out if you can get to the
connections, especially if you are confident the new start is good.