Re: Power steering stop leak

Date: Tue Oct 18 2011 - 18:32:34 EDT

On 10/18/2011 10:43 AM, Jason Bleazard wrote:

> On Tue, October 18, 2011 1:29 pm, M.B. wrote:
>>
>> Seems to me the first couple years of R&P steering on 4x4 Daks and
>> Durangos caused problems. I know of two separate people (one with a
>> dak, one with a durango) that had big power steering leaks before 75k.
>
> Yay. Our '01 is a bit over 102k miles, so I guess we're due. Apparently
> the trans is starting as well. Dammit, I need this truck to last another
> year and a half at least...
>
>> Even more of a pain in the ass, there were two power steering pumps
>> used, one with like a 19mm input shaft and one with something like a
>> 21mm (don't remember the sizes for sure).
>
> I noticed that in Rock Auto's catalog. Any way to tell without tearing it
> apart?
>
>> Be prepared, it may not just be the hoses, it could be the pump too, or
>> the rack. On the 2000 Dak he just replaced the rack, pump and hoses as
>> a unit "to be safe" since it was already in pieces as it was.
>
> And the news gets better and better. The mechanic said it was just the
> hoses. They're relatively on the ball over there, but certainly not
> perfect.

That's good then, hopefully you get away with it. :)

As for the power steering pump, my friend decided "bigger was better"
and just ordered the one with the larger shaft and ordered a new pulley
too. They're like $10-15. I don't think any of 'em come with the
pulley anyhow so you save yourself the trouble of removing the (plastic)
pulley from the old one if you do. They often break when removing them
anyhow.