Barry's auto trans issue

From: Barry Oliver (barrysuperhawk@comcast.net)
Date: Fri Nov 18 2011 - 20:03:41 EST

Recently my truck has been shifting funny. It gets stuck in 2nd and I
have to damn near floor it to get it to upshift. It only happens at
around town speeds, on the highway, it seems fine. I think it's a 44RE,
but I may be mistaken and I am not going back outside to check my vin
right now. Anyway, the truck has 160K on it and I have had regular-ish
tranny service done on this by a Chrysler mechanic every 40-50K, the
most recent not even 10k miles ago.

When I asked my mechanic about it his response was that he hates working
on trannys and only does the fluid and filter changes for me because I
am a friend. He then mentioned something about centrifugal weights in
the dry part of the tranny getting gummed up, but said he had never had
one apart so did not know about this first hand.

So, am I about to get raped at the tranny shop?