Engine quit, no fuel

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Jan 13 2012 - 21:21:51 EST

I replaced the dead battery in my '99 Cherokee and moved on to
changing the tires (outside, at night, in a snowstorm, just to make it
extra pleasant). After I had replaced the battery, I started the
engine and let it idle to allow it to warm up. Just as I'm mounting
first tire on its rim (maybe 5-10 mins after I started the engine), I
hear the engine stop.

I went outside, it cranked over fine, plenty of juice from the
battery, but would not catch. I did the "cycle the key on and off a
few times to make sure the fuel pump is fully pressurizing the rail"
trick before cranking it and the first couple of times I did this, the
engine caught just a little bit, but nowhere near starting. Then
after those couple of times, trying to pressurize the fuel rail this
way made no difference.

I pushed the schraeder valve on the fuel rail and there was no
pressure there. By spraying starting fluid into the throttle body,
the engine would start and run (poorly, naturally) for a few seconds
and then quit.

So, obviously this is a no fuel problem. My first thought would be
that the fuel pump quit, however I can hear it running when I turn the
key on. (Its definitely humming, wether it is actually pumping
anything is another story.) The other though that occurs to me is the
sock over the fuel pump pickup may be clogged. The fuel line is
intact, not leaking, and there is no in-line fuel filter.

If there is one good thing about this, its that it did this in my
driveway instead of while I was driving, stranding me somewhere! If
it makes a difference, the vehicle has been parked for 9 weeks. When
the engine quit, the right rear of the car had been jacked up to
replace the tire. I don't know if that makes a difference, I thought
maybe that caused some sediment to move towards the pickup and clog
it.

Anyway, I just thought I would post here in case anyone else has any
other ideas or thinks I am missing something obvious. I think I've
covered all of the quick/easy fixes so this will probably get dumped
off at a shop, since I definitely do not have time to drop a fuel
tank, and I really need this vehicle now that winter decided to show
up. (The fun part will be dragging it up the ice hill otherwise known
as my driveway so that the garage can pick it up with their rollback.)

Thanks!

--
                                          -Jon-