Re: Engine quit, no fuel

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Mon Jan 16 2012 - 17:12:43 EST

On 15-Jan, 2012, at 19:27 , jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> I've been running the torpedo heater under the car for a while, made a
> skirt around the vehicle with pieces of cardboard to help hold the
> heat underneath. I seem to be heating things up pretty good under
> there, but not so much luck starting yet.
>
> It will start and run for a few seconds, then quit. Further cranking
> does not cause a re-start. If I try again in 5 mins or so, it will
> start, but then dies again after a few seconds.

With all that heat, and the symptoms not changing, I'm thinking it's not ice. Especially with de-icer in the fuel. I'm also thinking fuel pump.

If I'm not mistaken, the XJ uses the same setup as other Mopar trucks and you'll either be going through the floor or dropping the tank to access it. You'll see what sort of shape the pickup sock is in when you go for the pump…

Good luck.

Mike