Re: OT: 12v to 6v

From: Eric (huffy340@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Feb 16 2012 - 01:15:50 EST

> > This might be able to help you out.
> >
> > http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

> Hmmm, thanks Mike - that works pretty slick. But I have a
> question... the "forward voltage" the calculator uses... I read
> the little aside-note it has on using "best guess" voltage if you
> don't know the specs... my question is just what do they mean by
> forward voltage?

The short answer is that it is the voltage drop across the LED.

Longer answer: forward voltage is the voltage across a diode when
current is flowing in the "forward" direction, or the direction
that allows current.

This page has a table of common voltages about 1/4th of the way
down:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-emitting_diode