old gas

From: Jamie C (jamie12ga@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2012 - 12:08:41 EDT

I have a Dakota that's been sitting for almost 2 years and I'm finally
getting around to installing the engine I rebuilt.
Obviously the gas has "varnished" so I know I need to drain the tank but
what about the residue that's left? Is it worth pulling the bed and
removing the pump/filter so I can wipe down the inside of the tank?
I'm thinking if I just drain the tank, flakes of varnish may eventually
come loose and start clogging the sock. Is this possible?
Also, what about the inside walls of the fuel lines? Should I worry about
that?
Perhaps I'm overly concerned and draining the tank is good enough.
Thanks or any advise.
Jamie