Heater Core? and other woes

From: Mike & Sharon Higgins (clearcreek@gobrainstorm.net)
Date: Mon Mar 26 2012 - 14:05:43 EDT

My brother has a 1998 Durango with a heating problem that just started about
six weeks ago. His Outside air intake started to allow a lot of air into
the cab. He thought maybe the heater core was plugged, and brought it to the
dealer. After $835.00 to change the T-stat, he still had the same problem,
and a suggestion to replace the heater core. He went through the ordinary
repairs; e.i., Back Flush the core, check the hose temperature and compare
in & out. He asked me, and I suggested the he avoid removing the heater core
unless it was obviously leaking. Does anyone have access to a diagram or
schematic if the heater box (w/AC)? the next idea is to check the switches
and doors to determine if one or more is stuck open, and letting in too much
cold air.

Any other ideas?

Mike Higgins
1999 Dakota extended cab 5.2 L w/5 speed