Re: Heater Core? and other woes

From: Josh Battles (cletusjones@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 26 2012 - 17:03:33 EDT

On Mar 26, 2012 1:09 PM, "Mike & Sharon Higgins" <
clearcreek@gobrainstorm.net> wrote:

> My brother has a 1998 Durango with a heating problem that just started
about
> six weeks ago. His Outside air intake started to allow a lot of air into
> the cab. He thought maybe the heater core was plugged, and brought it to
the
> dealer. After $835.00 to change the T-stat, he still had the same
problem,

Wow. That should've been enough for a heater core change at the dealer.
Yikes.

Anyways, heater core is about a 4 hour job, maybe double if you're a slow
worker. I should do a writeup, I put 4 in my gen3 when I had it. The only
"special" tool you need is the stuff to disconnect the a/c lines, they're
about $5 at the auto parts store.

*Remove knee bolster
*Drop column
*Remove screws across the bottom of the windshield and a-pillar trim, and
kick plates
*loosen bolts at bottom sides of dash
*lift and pull dash, should swing down, there are electronics so watch
wires.
*remove hvac box, some screws are accessed via firewall.

Good luck
- Josh