tensioner pulley

From: $pook (richardfiser@mchsi.com)
Date: Sun Aug 12 2012 - 14:26:22 EDT

On 8/11/2012 11:00 PM, DML Digest wrote:
> DML Digest Sunday, August 12 2012 Volume 05 : Number 4610
>

> The subjects discussed in this digest are:
> ==========
> RE: DML: water pump ?'s
> Re: DML: water pump ?'s
> Re: DML: water pump ?'s
> Re: DML: water pump ?'s
> Re: DML: water pump ?'s
> DML: Dumb remark
> RE: DML: water pump ?'s
> RE: DML: Re: new political blog?
> Re: DML: water pump ?'s

> Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 00:08:36 -0400
> From: "Jim" <conv442@earthlink.net>
> Subject: RE: DML: water pump ?'s
>
> first off when u get the new one make sure it includes the bypass pipe
> (black steel press fit, electrolytically welded to the Al pump body)
>
> break the fan free b4 u pull the serp belt
>
> can be R&Red with the shroud in place
>
> there is another hose nipple that needs to be with the new pump can't recall
> if it's input or output
>
> have to move the alt and AC compressor out of the way, no need to break the
> AC hoses
>
> depending on mileage your truck is old enough that the timing chain
> tensioner may be suspect so timing set replacement may be a good might as
> well......not sure on the year they changed the parts....
>
> Jim
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 08:37:40 -0500
> From: David Gersic <info@zaccaria-pinball.com>
> Subject: Re: DML: water pump ?'s
>
> On Friday, August 10, 2012 09:17:19 PM you wrote:
>> Well here I am again asking the great people of the DML for there great
>> advise. I am sure its the water pump but a few symptoms first thought it
>> was a bearing on one of the pulleys.
>> the sound of dry bearing getting ready to go was going to find it in the
>> morning but get home with my son for some dinner and coolant is flowing
>> out from under the truck at the front where
>> the water pump would be.
> Sounds like the same symptoms I had in the spring. Yep, it was the water pump.
> Mine's a 2001, so may not be identical to yours.
>

>> So if that sounds like the water pump is there
>> any tricks I should know.
>> The truck is a 1999 Dakota 3.9 with about 78000 miles. Thanks again for
>> y'all being here and any help would be appreciated.
> On mine, the serpentine belt didn't provide enough grip to break the pulley
> bolts loose. I made a tool from some 3/4" iron bar stock and a couple of
> 1/4x20 bolts to fit the holes in the front of the pulley, so it could be held
> in place.
>
> Other than that, it's pretty straightforward. Drain the radiator. Remove the
> shroud. Remove the hoses. Remove the various bolts holding the pump. Remove
> the pump. I didn't touch the alternator or A/C compressor. Installation is, of
> course, the reverse of the removal steps, plus cleaning up the mess.
>
> While you're at it, you might as well replace the serpentine belt, pulley, and
> tensioner.

> [...]
98 Dakota Sport 3.9. I need to change out the alternator but I'm having
trouble with the tensioner. I use a 15mm socket on the center pulley
bolt but instead of the tension being released, the bolt just gets
tighter. I'm afraid I will snap the bolt. Am I not doing something
right? I've never heard of a tensioner freezing up.