Re: 4.7 2000 valves and lash adjusters?

From: tony@tasteofthemidway.com
Date: Mon Sep 10 2012 - 20:56:22 EDT

 Got a replacement lash adjuster from AZ today, put it in, still
lots of slop in rocker.
i had poured some Marvel Mystery oil in the
cyl incase it was carbon stuck holding valve
open.

cranked it with asd relay plulled so no start,
watched and valve (cyl 8 exhaust) open & closed pretty normal. started
it with cover off, ran didn't throw rocker, and sure doesn't have any oil
pressure problems! but rocker still very loose?

I saw a
youtube vid of a Jeep tech. fixing this issue, puts a small washer under
the lash adjuster to remove slop???

anyone ever try
this?
also, I noticed a dif in the new lash adjuster from the old
ones.
origonal ones are compressed untill oil pressure pumps them
up, contribting to the rocker slop and i guess in some cases throwing
rockers on startup.
The new lash adjuster aparently has a spring
inside that heeps it extended and maybe helps with the slop?
just
thought id mention it.
anyways back to my slop issue,  i didn't
get to check compression yet, BUT assuming it's normal, and valve IS
closing etc.. any ideas why the slop? all the rest of the rockers are
fine.
and does anyone know a reason I shouldn't try the
washer???
Thanks everyone for the help!
Need to get the Dak
running ASAP, the POS Kia I'm driving is literally falling apart
underneath me!
Tony.