Re: Dakota R/T?

From: Bill Countie (wgcount@husc.harvard.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 28 1995 - 09:53:26 EST

On Tue, 28 Nov 1995, Ned Vogler wrote:

> Hello --
>
> Saw signature line on a post on the MML:
>
> >1994 Dakota 5.2l 5 speed (R/T in progress)
> >Bill Countie
> >e-mail wgcount@husc7.harvard.edu
That be me. I'm here too. ( organ swells, wierd laughter from somewere
under the floor!)
> I'm going to call Mopar Performance and take a look at their catalog, but
> being another proud owner of a '96 Dakota 5.2L 5-speed, I was curious what
> type of modifications you were making to your truck??
I have put the K&N filter in, The headers and exhaust from MP, and the
computer from MP. I figure the folks at CC would have done it this way.
The Cam comes later when I can squeeze my wallet again. <sigh>
> What kind of money have you been spending for said modifications??
About $20.00 for the K&N, $295 for the MP exhaust, Headers $595 (but I
talked the guy down for the Header-Exhaust system to $815 total) and the
MP computer for $250 without returning the old computer. I figure I'll
need a spare one day.
> And just for the record, how has your truck been as far as reliability, etc?
No problems in 25,000 miles except what was corrected by the exhaust
change. There is a flat spot around 2500-3500. My engine used to rev in
first, run out of steam, and the shift to second was short shifted. You
will not have this problem as your 5 speed has a higher first gear (less
granny). But now my Dakota pulls firmly through first and shifts to
second inside the power band. <G>.
> This is my first MoPar, and everyone I've talked to that has either owned
> or currently owns a Dakota, says they love it, and have not had any major
> problems. Oh yeah, is it a 4x4 or 4x2? Thanks in advance for your response.
4x2. I didn't have the bucks for a 4X4. You are welcome.

> To all other MML'ers, thanks for your help on subscribing to the list, and I
> was curious as to how many other members out there are Mopar Truck owners,
> and/or whether there is specifically any kind of Mopar truck mailing list,
> etc. etc. I have been enjoying the posts in the MML, and will continue to
> be an avid reader!! Only wish my friend could get this list, but
> unfortunately he lives in a rather remote area and doesn't have a computer
> (hence no E-mail)... but he *does* have a '70 Cuda 340-6, which is an
> absolute BLAST to fly around in... Have been reading his Mopar rags for
> years now, and have become quite a Mopar enthusiast myself! Was half the
> reason I bought my new Dakota!! <grin> Anyhow, thanks again for your
> help...
Welcome to the list Ned!