Re: Performance Mods?

From: Bill Countie (wgcount@husc.harvard.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 28 1995 - 10:14:33 EST

On Mon, 27 Nov 1995 Kenmosher@aol.com wrote:

> Hi folks!
>
> I'm new to this list and if this has been discussed before, forgive me and
> point me to the FAQ! Anyway, I own a '95 4WD SLT Extended cab with the 318
> V8. I love the truck!
Yeah! Welcome to the list!

> Has anyone found a cat back exhaust system for these trucks? How 'bout
> headers?
Yes there is! your headers can be had from Mopar performance (MP).
If you have an automatic transmission, your part number is P5249532.
I think the 4WD must complicate exhaust pipe routing, since I
> haven't found anything except for V6 trucks.
Not true. The MP 3" exhaust system is the same for ALL the Dakotas. You
just have to cut one length shorter on the SWB. Part # P5249454. It
doesn't fit the standard cab/shortbox but it fits everything else. It
will also fit the V6 but it isn't listed in the catalog to do so. It is
however on the instruction sheets that come with the pipes.

> Any other tricks or tips to up the output a bit? I use the truck to commute
> daily and to pull a car trailer occaisonally (when I don't drive the GN to
> the track 'cause I'm too lazy to swap the slicks and street tires).

A relative cheapy is the MP computer. You can get it for about $250-300.
You can return the old one for $100 credit to MP by shipping it back.
You can get 24 hp and 26 ft/lbs of torque improvements with premium fuel.
Part numbers P5249542 manual trans, P5249545 auto trans. These part
numbers are for the '94-'95 Dakotas only and the '92-'93s are different.
I don't know yet the numbers for the '96.

K&N filter maybe?

> Ken Mosher
> '87 GN: Stock appearing, 3660 lbs with driver, 11.21@121.5 thru the full
> exhaust
> '95 Dakota: extended cab, 4WD, V8, blue and silver
> '93 Buick Regal GS: Blue, grey leather, 3800 V^

1994 Dakota 5.2l 5 speed (R/T in progress)
Bill Countie
e-mail wgcount@husc7.harvard.edu