RE: How to get motorcycles on the truck?

From: Ned Vogler (NVOGLER@rghosp.chime.org)
Date: Fri Dec 08 1995 - 12:00:00 EST

 --------Quoted Message----------
From: Pan Chan
To: dakota
Subject: How to get motorcycles on the truck?
Date: Thursday, December 07, 1995 10:59PM

>How do you get your bike on the truck?

>I want to use ramps, and they can either rest on the bed or on the
>folded-down
>tailgate. Problem #1 is I can't get these ramps to rest on the bed because
>the
>rear bumper gets in the way. I could get extra-long boards, but I'd rather

>not. Problem #2 is that I'm afraid the rubber tailgate "arms" will break
>under
>the weight of over 500-700 lbs, leaving me w/a nicely disfigured tailgate
>from
>where it smashes into the bumper. Most likely the rubber arms wouldn't
snap,
>but they might slip out of the metal clasps.

Well, actually, I just got my Dakota about a month ago, and I've already put
my bikes away for the winter, but when spring rolls around, I plan to do the
same old thing as I've always done for loading bikes... I don't ride them
up, like I heard some others talk about, I kind of push 'em up, (get a
running start and heave that sucker up on there) I use a toe piece in the
front of the bed to help hold the front tire (looks kind of like =|) and I
use a 2x8 ramp with a metal angle bracket on the end which makes the end
more flush with the tailgate... depending on the load height of the bed, you
need to use a certain length plank, although the recommended lengths are
usually WAY too long. I never had a problem with the tailgate in my old
pickup (a GMC S-15) and I toted bikes around for a good 6 years in it, but I
will miss the built-in tie-down hooks the GMC had which the Dakota doesn't
have.... I may have to cut my bedliner a tad to get at the factory holes CC
put in my Dakota bed so I have a place to hook my tie-downs... Anyway, I'll
certainly keep y'all posted when spring gets here, and I load 'em up!!!

Ned Vogler
(nvogler@rghosp.chime.org)
'96 Dakota SLT V8 5-sp 4x4 Club Cab