Magnum 5.2 Horsepower upgrade.

From: smith gregory m (gmsmith@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 11 1995 - 10:55:00 EST

Hello Dakota newsgroupers -

I own a 1993 Dodge Dakota 4x2 Club Cab with the 230 hp 318 cid Magnum V-8
and automatic tranny. I am giving consideration to upping the performance
ante of my Dakota. So far, I have dropped in a K&N filtercharger
replacement air filter and replaced the original spark plugs at 30,000
miles with Bosch Platinum plugs. I am quite happy with the truck's
horsepower output but, as with most horsepower addicted truck and car
owners, I'm looking for more. I am considering installing the performance
engine control computer offered by MOPAR for about $300 ($260 from Jegs).
I have heard that the performance computer will add "25 extra horsepower."
I am aware that with the performance computer, premium unleaded gasoline
becomes mandatory. My question is whether or not the addition of the
performance computer will create any drivability problems, increase fuel
consumption under normal driving conditions or void the 7 year/70,000 mile
powertrain warranty. Also, is the increase of "25 extra horsepower"
readily noticeable, or would my $260-$300 be better spent on other
pursuits? If you have had experience with the addition of a performance
engine control computer to your Magnum V-8, or have any information to
pass along, please reply to this newsgroup or to me directly via e-mail.

Thank-you!

- Greg Smith <gmsmith@uiuc.edu>
  '93 Dakota LE Club Cab 4x2 V-8