Re: Magnum 5.2 Horsepower upgrade.

From: Mel Lester Jr. (meljr@connet80.rain.com)
Date: Wed Dec 13 1995 - 10:09:33 EST

On Mon, 11 Dec 1995, smith gregory m wrote:

> Hello Dakota newsgroupers -
>
> I own a 1993 Dodge Dakota 4x2 Club Cab with the 230 hp 318 cid Magnum V-8
> and automatic tranny. I am giving consideration to upping the performance
> ante of my Dakota. So far, I have dropped in a K&N filtercharger
> replacement air filter and replaced the original spark plugs at 30,000
> miles with Bosch Platinum plugs. I am quite happy with the truck's
> horsepower output but, as with most horsepower addicted truck and car
> owners, I'm looking for more. I am considering installing the performance
> engine control computer offered by MOPAR for about $300 ($260 from Jegs).
> I have heard that the performance computer will add "25 extra horsepower."
> I am aware that with the performance computer, premium unleaded gasoline
> becomes mandatory. My question is whether or not the addition of the
> performance computer will create any drivability problems, increase fuel
> consumption under normal driving conditions or void the 7 year/70,000 mile
> powertrain warranty.

Yes, just do it. It's easy to do and one of the few things you can do
yourself on a new vehicle anymore. Keep your old computer for a spare or
towing. You will need the best gas you can get or it will ping like the
dickens. You can also forget medium to heavy towing up grades. Your gas
mileage may vary, mine actually got better. I also regularly bracket (drag)
race, and my dealer sold me the truck, all the MP goodies, and the
100,000 mile warranty.

  Also, is the increase of "25 extra horsepower"
> readily noticeable, or would my $260-$300 be better spent on other
> pursuits?

This should put you truck in the 14's and is probably the best performance
dollars you'll ever spend.