Re: First oil change, and a bunch of other stuff.

From: Jon N. Steiger (stei0302@penny.cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 19 1995 - 19:49:07 EST

>> Someone (From Canada, I believe) mentioned that they were clocked at
>> 150mph in their Dakota. (or maybe it was kph?) For some reason, I seem
>> to think it was mph... Can this be? I didn't think the Dakota would
>
>You were right. I've had my 92 Dakota up to 237 km/h which works out to
>about 150 mph. It is possible, but ya gotta have a real smooth, and
>straight stretch of highway. My truck shook like a tank at that speed,
>but then again, when you have a heavy-duty suspension, you expect that.
>It's not something I would do all the time, but I wanted to see how fast
>the truck could go, so I set it up with a friend of mine who was a
>HighWay patrol officer. He let me know where he was gonna setup a radar
>trap, and I went through it. Also, I didn't have a sustained speed that
>high, the way I did it is like this. I put my foot down as I was coming
>out of a corner, and just let the truck climb. As soon as I went by the
>radar, I lifted off and got into the brakes hard to get the truck back
>down to a more normal speed. I even think that if I would have done some
>work on the truck, I could of got more speed, as I hit that speed without
>putting the pedal all the way down. Also just for the record, the
>speedo's here in Canada pegged at 200kp/h, so I had no idea how fast I
>was going because the needle wasn't moving any more.

  Yowsas! =)

   Hmmm... A little suspension work, some nice fat tires, some engine
work, (I think a MP computer, headers, exaust, blower, and NOS should
do it ;-), some ground effects... 200mph, here we come! :-)

  You know, it would be great to have a truck like that... (Bill's is
probably the closest? :-) Can you immagine pulling up next to a
Supra Turbo, or a ZR-1 and then leaving them in a cloud of rubber? :-)
   Or... Passing one on the freeway doing about 180 or so? I think
*that* would turn a few heads. :-) But would probably turn the lights
on the roof of the nearest police car too. :-(

  Oh well... Time to return from dreamland and get some work done. :)

                                              -Jon-

 | Jon Steiger == DoD# 1038 == USUA# A46209 == NMA# 117376 == KotWitDoDFAQ |
 | stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu && http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ |
 | '96 Dakota SLT V-8, '91 FZR600R /* Just another mangy hacker */ |