First oil change, and a bunch of other stuff.

From: CSiano@banyan.com
Date: Wed Dec 20 1995 - 08:25:37 EST

> Well, its time for my very first Dakota oil change. (2,000 mi)

>In my previous car, (3000GT VR-4) I used nothing but high quality
>synthetics (Mobil 1), and I planned to do the same for the Dakota.
However,
>I have heard that for the first 10,000 miles, you should use conventional
>oil, because you want the engine to wear a little. What do you think?
>Should I go with synthetic from the start, wait until 10,000, or use
>conventional all along?

I've been running Castrol Syntec since 2300 miles and never had a single
problem. Just remember, once you switch to synthetics, you can NEVER
return to dino juice. Just for the record I use the 5w-50 blend.

<snipped lots of soul searching about the V8>

My reasoning was I never wanted to say "I could have had a V8". But I'll
admit, it is definately a lot of power for such a light vehicle. Tim Allen
is proud of us all. <insert loud grunting ape noises here>

> Someone (From Canada, I believe) mentioned that they were clocked at
>150mph in their Dakota. (or maybe it was kph?) For some reason, I seem
>to think it was mph... Can this be? I didn't think the Dakota would
>be able to get anywhere near those speeds without major suspension work..
>Any thoughts? (Maybe the original poster could confirm wether it was
>mph or kph? That would make a difference, I suppose. :-)

I was wondering about that too. With the NV3500 and a 3.9 axle ratio, My
truck would redline in overdrive around 130. Add to that the fact that
most truck tires would fly apart at that speed and I have serious doubts.
(Anybody wanna guess why I like my Micky Thompson HP's with a 112mph
raiting?) Although my Dakota can get to 90+ very easily (love the looks
on people's faces when I floor it comming onto the highway.) the
suspention really doesn't like it and the vehicle becomes a handful. A
longer wheelbase might help, but that would hurt off-road.

One of the things I really like is the fact that I can climb mountain
trails with a 42:1 crawl ratio and then drive home at a comfortable 65-70
mph. Talk about versitile!

Christopher Siano | Work Sucks... I'm going
CSiano@Banyan.com | Camping, Mountain Biking