RE: First oil change, and a bunch of other stuff.

From: Moise N. Solomon (msolomon@mail07.mitre.org)
Date: Fri Dec 22 1995 - 08:28:45 EST

>On Wed, 20 Dec 1995, Gary Gellert wrote:
>
>> If you can't get your Dakota above 120 mph, well, you better take it back
>> to the dealer, and have them tune up the engine. I regularly take mine
>> up to about 180 km/p hour, which is about 110 miles per hour. If ChryCo
>> didn't think the truck could go that fast, why does the speedo go up to
>> 125 mph?

My '96's speedo goes to 110 MPH. I've had it up to 100 MPH on I-89 in New
Hampshire and the truck is rock solid. It also felt like I had plenty of
power left to go atleast another 20 MPH.

As an aside to the V6 vs. V8 issue. The dealer I bought my truck from tried
to talk me out of the 3.55 rear end (part of payload package). I tow a 5000lb
trailer, and need the 3.55 to get the tow capacity above 5000lbs. The
salesman tried to convence me that the truck would tow fine with the stock
rear, and he had "plenty of customers" who tow larger trailers than that with
that rear. Plus, you get better mileage. This particular dealer did not have
one V8 dakota on the lot. I wonder if Dodge is pushing the V6 and higher
differentials to help improve corp average fuel economy numbers...

Moise