Spray-in Liners

From: CSiano@banyan.com
Date: Tue Jan 30 1996 - 07:30:09 EST

>Does anyone have any experience with the spray-in type of bedliner?
(Line-X,
>Rhino Liners, etc.)

I had the Rhino sprayed last summer. My bed was also looking pretty shabby,
 and the Rhino really made a difference.

During the winter, I carry my entire group's skis and snowboards in my
truck. All with sharp metal edges. There isn't a mark in the the Rhino.
I carried stone, logs, camping equipment, and even had my toolbox break
open this winter when the real cold weather set in. There isn't a mark or
gouge anywhere in the bed. Hose it clean, nothing sticks. Ice? Rubber
mallet and brush away.

I did some research before I spent the $$ ($400 for blue to match my paint,
 $350 for basic black, other colors and dealers vary) The liner is best
applied by a shop that does auto painting. The same techniques required to
paint a car are required to spray the liner if you want a good result. The
stuff comes out as a liquid and sets in seconds. It is easy to get puddles
and high spots if you don't keep the gun moving. I had mine done by a guy
who does auto restorations, and it came out fantastic.

The lighter the color, the more the sun will harm the liner. The light
yellow is not expected to last more than ten years before the poly starts
to crack. Bed covers and caps help prevent this. The black should last
longer than the metal on the truck. Actually, since these liners do have a
very long life, disposal of parts may someday become an issue.

Repairs of the liner if needed are easy. As with any liquid, it fills its
own cracks and a light top coat can be added.

One note to those of you in the warmer climates. Make sure your dealer
roughs up the bed before spraying. Some of the southern dealers save time
and money by simply cleaning the paint. This might hold, but as with paint,
 surface prep is everything.

The liner does deaden the sound of the empty bed, and weighs no more than a
slide in liner. I no longer have trouble with my toolbox sliding around as
the liner does a good job of holding things still. The company claims the
liner is impervious to almost every chemical and petrolium product. My
dealer also said that his biggest problem is that the stuff sticks so well
that removing overspray can be difficult. The only material it won't stick
to is some forms of plastic which it peels from once dry.

In fact, my dealer has pictures of a parking lot done in the Rhino because
the battery acid spills and oil leaks from the waste being delivered to the
recycling plant ruined the asphalt every year. The stuff worked great.
Have trouble with cement hardening in your mixer truck? Line it with Rhino
and just tap the hardened material with a hammer, out it comes. Anyplace
you want to protect something from abrasion or chemicals, it works.

Now that I am sounding like a marketing firm, I'll stop. It really is a
fantastic product, worth every penny.

Christopher Siano | "How do you control this thing?"
CSiano@Banyan.com | "Who Cares, Go FASTER!"