RE: Tailgate/Bedliner problem

From: Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com
Date: Wed Jan 31 1996 - 11:35:49 EST

From: CSiano@banyan.com@INTERNET on Wed, Jan 31, 1996 10:09 AM

>One of the nice things the Dakota has is a mostly galvanized sheet metal
>construction. This galvination layer is far stronger than paint, and will
>keep the area looking clean. However, sooner or later, that galvination
>will wear off and the iron will start to corrode. Just because you don't
>see rust yet, don't get too cocky.

I understand that nothing lasts for ever and even with the Rhino coat the metal
will eventually rust from the outside leaving you with a nice piece of plastic
with rust attached.

In comparison with the two previous dodge pick-ups I have had, the Dakota body
in is far better. My truck is an 89 with 193,000 miles, the liner has been in it
from day one. There is no rust under the bed and in the few spots the liner has
worn away the paint they have not rusted. The truck is driven on New England
roads and goes on the beach. I fully expect that the truck will not be
economical to repair long before rust on the body becomes an issue.

In comparison my 73 D100 had the frame rails come up through the bed and I could
play Fred Flintstone through the floor boards by 1979. I replaced it with a 79
D50 (Mitsucrap) and by 83 the whole body was falling apart due to rust. Both of
these vehicles recieved a Rusty Jones equivalent.

Dave Clement