RE: CD Player Input on Cassette Radio ...

From: Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com
Date: Thu Feb 01 1996 - 07:29:18 EST

I can't tell you if the factory radios have a Line In or not but I can tell you
of an experience I had with my wifes car.

I replaced the factory radio with a high power (25W x4) Craig stereo cassette.
She decided that she wanted to listen to CDs in the car so we picked up a
Kenwood portable CD player that came with all of the goodies for car
installation.

Because the stereo had both Line In and Out and the CD player had a Line Out
jack I figured I could make a cleaner installation than using the cassette
adapter that came with the CD player.

I picked up a Y-cable at Radio Shack (2 RCAs to mini stereo phone jack) to
connect the Line Out of the Cd Player to Line In of the stereo.

Results were big time noise/static when playing CDs. When using the cassette
adapter the system works great. I do not know if the static is a result of a
problem in the stereo or CD player or because the Y-cable was not shielded. I
have not tried to chase it down because the cassette adapter works just fine.

Dave Clement

ps: My 89 Shelby Daytona has the factory CD player and there is a DIN plug on
the back of the Infinity Stereo that the CD plugs into. The wiring of the plug
is specific to the CD player.