RE: R134a (fwd)

From: Moise N. Solomon (msolomon@mail07.mitre.org)
Date: Wed Feb 21 1996 - 15:11:47 EST

>milege may suffer slightly. If you have a freon system haveing to
>replace the compressor is a rip off, since this is more about politics
>than the environment. Dupont's patent on freon was expiring, so they
>came up with R134 with a new patent. Then got the eco-freaks to go
>bannanas without any real scientific evidence.

>Frank Ball 1UR-M frankb@sr.hp.com (707) 794-4168 work
>Hewlett Packard (707) 794-4848 fax (707) 538-3693 home
>1212 Valley House Drive Dodge Dakota Yamaha IT175 XT350 YZF600 Seca750
>Rohnert Park CA 94928-4999 KC6WUG, AMA, DoD #7566, NMLRA, I'm the NRA.

Frank,
As I understand the issue of ozone depletion, there is plenty of real
scientific evidence that florine and chlorine ions in the upper atmosphere act
as catylists to decompose ozone into oxygen ions, thus depleting the ozone
which absorbs ultraviolet light. Although, I am not a chemist and am writing
from memory. "Freon" is a big part of the problem when it decomposes in the
upper atmosphere in the presence of sunlight. R134 decomposes before it
floats to the upper atmosphere.

Dupont lobbied heavily to continue to produce Freon.

Moise Solomon