Re: Towing

From: Bill Countie (wgcount@husc.harvard.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 23 1996 - 17:19:08 EST

On Fri, 23 Feb 1996, Rader = Darn Jar All Dry Error wrote:

> In '95 at least, the sure-grip rear end only came with the 3.50 and 3.90
> gear ratios (according to the documentation).
This is also true for the '94 and '96 too

> >is not to exceed 7800#... I'm figuring that my trucks somewhere in the
> >neighborhood of 3700# (can't recall offhand) and his car on a trailer's
> >probably gonna be about 4500# (again just a round number)... Am I OK doing
> >this??? Any info is appreciated...
The rating on a V8 with any rear end ratio is 5200 lbs. Not bad for a
midsize truck.
> You should be able to find a public truck scale to check your weight.
Go to the dump and ask them for the weight slip.

> >How big of a difference can/does the rearend ratio make??
Just with the higher ratios, the more torque, the easier it will be to
start out from dead stop. Also a higher ratio will help with engine
braking.>
> Check the tow rating matrix in the Dakota documentation. There should
> be different entries for different ratios.
Check your owners manual for capacities. Towing stabilizers (shock like
things that attach from the hitch to the trailer) help .
> > Ron

1994 Dakota 5.2l 5 speed
Bill Countie
e-mail wgcount@husc7.harvard.edu