RE: Transmission Problems - 1988 Dakota

From: Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com
Date: Mon Feb 26 1996 - 16:20:49 EST

From: jhaynes@bccb.com@INTERNET on Mon, Feb 26, 1996 4:08 PM

>Having problems with my 1988 Dodge Dakota Sport 2 wheel drive truck. Stopped
>moving forward last week. Had it towed and mechanic says it is "slopping in
>all gears" Estimates $1400 to repair.

>92,000 miles -- ALL transmission places, used car dealer, and junkyard that I
>have talked to have said that MANY of these transmissions are failing.
>Junkyards in Nashville just laughed when I called. ....
>Has anyone had any luck in getting Chrysler to fix the problem after warranty
>expiration. If not, Chrysler sure ought to! Would appreciate any response or
>thoughts as soon as possible. I'm trying do decide if it's worth taking the
>risk of rebuild. Thanks

I have an 89 4x4 that I bought from a friend he started having troubles at
before the 7/70 expired but the dealer kept telling him that there was no
problem. The tranny failed at 90k. He bitched big time and CC finally payed for
the repairs.

By the way the truck now has 192k and still runs and looks great with no more
tranny problems (or any problems for that matter).

Dave Clement