RE: Low fuel lights

From: Kurt Bouman (boum9534@uidaho.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 26 1996 - 16:51:05 EST

I've got both low-fuel and low-washer lights on my pretty stripped '91.
Oh, yeah--I've also got--or had--a silly light around the ignition
switch, to show me where to put my key. Actually, that makes for an
interesting little story. . . .

Last December, my truck sat for two weeks. When I tried to start it
again, I found that my battery had completely--not even a glimmer in the
headlites or a click in the horn--discharged :(

Oh, well--I figured the problem would come up on its own again. Well,
last month I found an exposed relay on my fuse panel; it was between the
hazard and the turn signal flashers, and was labeled, Time Delay Relay.
The metal sheath had come off, and the contacts were touching, were
REALLY hot, and were actually causing some cotton-like thread wrapping to
smoulder and drop onto my floor. Nice surprise, that! Well, before I
set myself on fire, I pulled the relay out with a pliers, and no one at
any local parts store could figure out what it was for. A call to Dodge
dealer suggested that it controlled the ring light around the ignition.
The relay's failure in Dec. must have caused my battery to run out: two
weeks of that little light is a lot. Anyway, for $10.00 Chrysler would
be happy to replace my relay, but as all it did for me is cause my
battery to run out (I figure that if I can't find the ignition on my own,
I shouldn't be driving), I have not replaced it.

BTW, I like the empty washer light better than the low fuel light. After
all, I already have a big fuel gauge right in front of me.

Cheers,

 Kurt Bouman Les vieux chiens
 boum9534@uidaho.edu ont plus de dignite.
 http://www.uidaho.edu/~boum9534/