RE: Replacment Radiators plastic verses metal

From: Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com
Date: Fri Mar 01 1996 - 08:30:09 EST

From: tazshot@kingsnet.com@INTERNET on Fri, Mar 1, 1996 12:43 AM

>Hi I own a 1993 Dodge Dakota puchased new and have experienced only one
>problem. I have a 5.2 liter engine and have developed a radiator leak from
>the top of the radiator on the top cap. The question that I have is with
>regards to it's replacment I want to replace it with a Metal one however all
>that I can find is the one that the Dealer sells which is just like the one
>that is leaking. Open for sugestions. Thanks for any advice you can offer,

John,

I had plastic tanks on my 85 Daytona and the band that held the top tank to the
core split allowing the two to seperate when the engine was hot resulting in a
leak. The local radiator shop could not repair it but they could solder on metal
tanks. I decided on a new replacement because it was only $30.00 more that the
raditor shop repaired one and the new one came with a lifetime warranty (good
choice because the core falled about four years later and I got another new one
free). Both replacements had metal tanks.

To be honest I never payed any attention to the raditor in my 89 Dakota until
after the accident and the replacement the body shop installed is all metal.

I know that a lot of people believe that only factory replcement parts are worth
buying but I always try and get parts from one of the large parts store chains
where everything they sell comes with a lifetime warranty. I keep all of my
vehicles for close to 10 years and many have gone well over 200,000 miles. It is
not unusual for me to collect on the warranty (especially shocks). I even took
the life time warrented alternator out of my 85 Daytona and put it in my 89
Daytona just so I would not have to worry about buying another alternator. The
prices of these parts (most of which ar rebuilds) are close to half the price of
factory parts.

Dave Clement