Re: FW: I dood it ! (96 Dakota)

From: Rader = Darn Jar All Dry Error (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Mon Mar 04 1996 - 14:41:17 EST

On Mon, 4 Mar 1996, Ned Vogler wrote:

> >- mud flaps (has anyone put a clean looking front and rear set on, or
> > tried the 'molded' units sold by JC Whitney ?)

> I haven't put any on my truck yet, although I'm leaning towards the Mopar
> "flat" ones... I'm waiting to hear how some other folks make out with
> theirs... please let me know what you decide to get and how they work out...

  I put some semi-custom ones on my '95 SLT, which I picked up at the
local Western Auto. They are molded rubber, and were made by Powerflow.
I got them mostly because they did not require drilling (the package included
clips which I used to attach them to the SLT fender molding, as well as one
of the current screws), and because they were fairly cheap.

  Well, they aren't bad. Required some trimming, but nothing major. Getting
the clips on the existing moldings was kind of a pain, but I'm fairly
confident they aren't going anywhere. It was also handy being able to
use an existing screw.

  I ended up only being able to use one existing screw and one no-drill
clip per flap. The molded rubber also angles towards the tire so much
that mud and spray still hit my fenders 6" past the guards. I'm considering
taking a heat gun to the flaps, in order to bend them out and hopefully
protect the paint a bit better. I have a feeling that the flexible flat
guards would protect the fender better than these do.

  Ron "FWIW" Rader