FW: I dood it ! (96 Dakota)

From: Ned Vogler (NVOGLER@rghosp.chime.org)
Date: Mon Mar 04 1996 - 16:37:00 EST

>From: L. Jacobs
>To: dakota
>Subject: I dood it ! (96 Dakota)
>Date: Monday, March 04, 1996 10:01AM

>Well, in spite of the new body styles on the way, I did it !
>My new arrival:
<mucho options munched>

Nice truck!!

>As you can see, about the only options I didn't get were the CD Player and
>the automatic transmission. Whew!

Get an aftermarket CD if you really want one, you'll save some $$$ you would
have spent on the factory CD... Pioneer makes a nice Chrysler/GM fit CD
unit that takes about 10 minutes to install (with wiring harness adapter, no
cutting required)... and IMHO, who needs the automatic?

>I won't discuss what I paid, so I don't get buyers regret, but could use
>your support saying I did the right thing (since I'm going to be broke for
>a _long_ time :) )

Actually, you buying this truck helps me to justify my purchase of my truck!
 (I too have a '96 Club Cab 4x4 V-8, pretty much loaded) I am also going to
be broke for a long time so misery loves company!!

>Now on to my questions:
>Here is what's on my shopping list, if you could help me out in any way
>with advice (especially on the chip) I would appreciate it.

>- MP Chip (how do I install / will it void warrantee / emissions / what
> kind of horsepower/torque gains / will I like it ?)

Easy 10 minute install, won't void warranty, won't mess up emissions
(AFAIK), good for about a 25 hp gain, not sure on the torque. According to
MP, the computer won't be available for the '96 until sometime this summer.
 :-( If you go all the way, get the headers (I hear Doug Thorleys are
much cheaper than MP, and the catback exhaust, will increase performance
even more)

>- Hood Protector (J.C. Whitney vs. Mopar ?)

I have the Mopar hood shield, and it looks great, and works well... Only
drawbacks are the increased wind noise, and the "mirror shimmy" it give my
drivers side power mirror. YMMV, but other folks have said the same thing
about other hood shields.

>- Bed Liner (I'm looking for a really good buy, and I don't want rust to
> build up under the liner)

I have the drop-in Mopar bedliner, but there's been some discussion on this
list about the pros/cons of drop-in liners, versus sprayed-in liners...
check the FTP archive you can probably find some pertinent info.

>- mud flaps (has anyone put a clean looking front and rear set on, or
> tried the 'molded' units sold by JC Whitney ?)

I haven't put any on my truck yet, although I'm leaning towards the Mopar
"flat" ones... I'm waiting to hear how some other folks make out with
theirs... please let me know what you decide to get and how they work out...

>- Tonneau cover (I know there's a thread on this right now, but I need
> easy-to-mail-order or local to Colorado)

Hard or soft?? Another dilemma... I have a soft tonneau cover (bed rail
mounted with adjustable bows and adjustable snaps) seems to work fine,
although I haven't unsnapped it this winter ('fraid I might not get it back
on) I forget which manufacturer I got it from.. bought it at a local pickup
truck cap place.

>- or - topper (what's the going rate for a flame-red topper)? Chances
> of finding a used unit?

I'm no help here...

>Other suggestions - comments ??

Enjoy that sucker!! Have you noticed any surface rust on any undercarriage
components?? Rear end, leaf springs, rear brake drums?? I've had my truck
only 4 months, and already underneath it looks like I've had it for 3
years... my only complaint at this point... some others have spoken about
this also...

>I didn't get the extended warrantee - will I regret it ?

Dunno... I'm interested in this as well.. I believe you can still get it
after delivery... that is _if_ you still want it...

>Anyone want to make an offer on this truck, in case I get buyers remorse ?

You won't!

Ciao!

         Network Administrator | _ _ _ _ _ _
       Rockville General Hospital | |_` |_` _ |_| |_| |_ |_| |_`
       (nvogler@rghosp.chime.org) | ,_| | | | |_ |\ ,_|
  '96 Dakota SLT V8 5-sp 4x4 Club Cab |
  '84 Nighthawk 650 '85 Honda XR-350R | ----------------------------