Rust (was:I dood it ! (96 Dakota))

From: Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com
Date: Tue Mar 05 1996 - 08:11:55 EST

From: NVOGLER@rghosp.chime.org@INTERNET on Mon, Mar 4, 1996 3:47 PM

>>(Raising hand) I have this complaint, as well, and I just bought my
>>truck brand-new. Every new Dakota on the dealer's lot suffered from
>>this. What can be done about it? Should I crawl around under there
>>with the sandpaper and go to it? Will that do any good? Harm?

>I *HATE* rust... but then again, I didn't buy the truck to keep it garaged,
>I bought it to drive it!!

I can't confirm that this is the case with CC but depending on the alloying of
the metal used the lite coating of rust can act as a conversion coating and
prevent any further corrosion. When this is done by design the protection of the
base metal is far superior to any paint that could be applied (and it's self
repairing if it is scratched or damaged). Short of using high nickel content
alloys (ie; stainless steel) or plating (which can be worse if not done
correctly) which would add thousands of dollars of cost to your truck this is
the best long term solution to under carriage corrosion protection.

Dave Clement