RE: Security. Was: Re: Any good deals out there?

From: Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com
Date: Tue Mar 05 1996 - 11:01:53 EST

From: stei0302@penny.cs.fredonia.edu@INTERNET on Tue, Mar 5, 1996 10:18 AM

> How hard was it to install the kill switch? Any ideas from anyone out
>there as to how to go about this? A kill switch seems like a cheap way
>to add a lot of protection. Granted, it must be done right and it should
>be hidden as well as possible... Any suggestions about how to add a
>kill switch? (i.e. where to make the "bridge", where to hide the switch...)

I have a Z-Loc in my Daytona that incorporates a a kill switch into the cable
that locks the hood. All that it does is ground the hot side of the coil thru
approximately an 8ohm resistor (looks to be around a 10 watter). I have always
installed kill switchs by grounding the coil but have been hesitant about doing
it to a electronic ignition. I assume that resistor provides a measure of
protection to the ignition electronics. This installation will not instantly
kill the engine when activated, it stumbles a few times before dieing, however,
the engine will not start.

A friend of mine installed a key activated ball valve (ball valve so fuel flow
would not be restricted) in the fuel line of his car. The fuel line ran along
the drivers side, so it was easy for him to drill a hole thru the floor and
mount the valve near the drivers seat with the key inside. His feeling was that
a thief could get the car started and possiblily pull out of a parking space
before the engine would die leaving them out in the road or parking lot exposed.
He felt that they would not hang around for long trying to restart the engine
with the attention.

Dave Clement