Re: Rust

From: L. Jacobs (ljacobs@calvin.uchsc.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 05 1996 - 11:07:22 EST

> I can't confirm that this is the case with CC but depending on the alloying
> of
> the metal used the lite coating of rust can act as a conversion coating and
> prevent any further corrosion. When this is done by design the protection of
> the
> base metal is far superior to any paint that could be applied (and it's self
> repairing if it is scratched or damaged). Short of using high nickel content
> alloys (ie; stainless steel) or plating (which can be worse if not done
> correctly) which would add thousands of dollars of cost to your truck this is
> the best long term solution to under carriage corrosion protection.

This sounds an awfull lot like 'blueing' on a gun. Rifles and pistols
that are steel using blueing, which is actually a form of rust.
Hey, I wonder.... would bluing work for the underside of the truck ??
Anyhow, I (and most others) will associate the orange buildup with
cancerous rust, oxidation, what have you.
I talked to the Chrysler customer center about this (1-800-992-1997)
and they said "Well, it's bare metal and when exposed to the air it
will oxidize" (gee, really !?!). Obviously no technical explainations
there, but they did say undercoating was certainly an option.
I like the rustolium approach (as mentioned here on the DakotaPhiles) -
after a good scouring with a wire brush or steel wool (The rust, not me ;^) )
As to the mention of using steel wool on the chrome rims - YES !! I
highly recommend steel wool and a liberal dose of WD-40 for any rust-on-chrome
problem. Just make sure it's chrome plated steel, and not chrome plated
plastic. Wipe the WD-40 off thoroughly, and wax with your favorite polish.

Hope this helps or initiates a new invention ! LJacobs@Calvin.UCHSC.Edu