Re: FW: I dood it ! (96 Dakota)

From: Bill Countie (wgcount@husc.harvard.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 05 1996 - 15:03:06 EST

On Mon, 4 Mar 1996 TeamGTZ@aol.com wrote:

> $499/headers $249 exhaust. Most other places just laugh when I ask for
> headers for a Magnum 318.
Must be Chevvy owners, they laugh at what they do not understand.
> I'm assuming you have the headers. Any problems
> (corrosion, gasket burn-through, etc.)? Also, I could probably skip the
> pre-made exhaust and get a custom (dual) setup put in for a lot cheaper. Any
> advantage to the MP?
No advantage to the MP over the Thourly except I don't know the finish of
the Thourly. The MP is Chrome over stainless. No problems after 12,000
miles. I did use anti-sieze on the bolts which is a good idea <tm>.
The installation was fairly easy with a lift (isn't it always easier?)
The cat back is also a Thourly creation with a 3" I.D. and is mandrel
bent. The cat back fits the V6 even though it isn't listed in the MP
catalog (says so on the directions that come with it!) The Muffler is a
heavy can about 3' long, straight pipe. Nice mellow tone that gets raspy
when RPMs rise. You'll need an extra 3" muffler clamp that isn't
included. I ground down the rough surfaces on the inside of the header
flanges (fussy). If you want better flow get a '92-'93 cat which is 3" in
and out. I didn't.
If you go the custom route note that the CAFE standards do not allow
radical changes to the emissions systems. I live in Mass so I have to
comply or trailer it.
The only problem is going through a parking garage and setting off the
car alarms that are set too sensitively. :-D
> > Andy "Rumble, rumble" Pacholski >

1994 Dakota 5.2l 5 speed (R/T in progress)
Bill Countie
e-mail wgcount@husc7.harvard.edu