Confused Pickup

From: Michael Meyerhoff (mmeye@umr.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 15 1996 - 14:49:43 EST

>Date: Fri, 15 Mar 96 09:28:19 CST
>From: bhouchin@micro.ti.com (Bryan Houchins)
>To: dakota@csclub0.cs.fredonia.edu
>Subject: Confused Pickup
>
>I was having a problem with my 96 Dakota and I was curious if anyone else has
>experienced this same problem. Three weeks after I bought my pickup I was hit
>in the back at a red light. The bumper was dented but there was no other
>apparent damage. On the home I made a stop and when I started driving down
the
>road again I noticed I was running 3,000 RPM's doing 55. I stopped and played
>with the gear shift (it is an automatic) but it did not do anything. Also I
>pressed the OD off light and it did not come on. It seemed stuck in 2nd or 3rd
>gear. I turned the pickup off and on again and it was back to normal.
>
>This was 3 1/2 months ago and it has done this maybe twice since until the
other
>day when this happened twice in one day. I am wondering if this is a computer
>problem. I got it checked out at the dodge house but they could find nothing
>wrong. I did not get a full analysis run because the person who hit me was
>uninsured but now I will probably go back and get a full analysis.
>
>Thanks,
>Bryan

Yea My 92 does the something similar when its warm weather. When we bought
the truck (used) we had the trans rebuilt. Since then its still not
perfect. The mechanic said since it occurs more often when it hot it could
be the "thermister". I go to school in UMR about 2 hours from my house.
When i go home and i 1st get on the interstate and the trans doesnt shift i
get off at the next exit and then get back on again. I've gotten pretty
good at reading the RPM and engine noise to get the OD to kick in.

If you find anything out please tell me.

                        Michael Meyerhoff
                          mmeye@umr.edu
                    http:\\www.umr.edu\~mmeye

Home: U of M at Rolla