RE: Splitfires?

From: Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com
Date: Mon Mar 18 1996 - 07:30:10 EST

Answer to all three questions is a big fat "NO". If you want a long lasting,
well designed plug and are willing to pay a little more ($2.00) get Autolite
Platnums, otherwise get standard Autolites.

The platnum wears much better so the gap stays more consistent over time. I use
them, and they are replaced every 2 years (approx 50k miles) and the gap is
still within a .001 or so. I could leave them in longer but I feel better if I
replace them. NOTE: All the cars now advertising 100k tune-up intervals come
from the factory with platnum tipped plugs.

Any difference you see with Splitfire plugs is due to the fact that you are
replacing old plugs with new ones. You would get the same difference with any
new plug.

If you really want to try a plug with a modified ground electrode design save
yourself some money and by ND Hot U plugs (approx. $1.60). As the name implies
the ground electrode has a U shaped cross section giving multiple points for the
spark to jump to (same concept as Splitfires). I have used them in my motorcyles
and found no difference.

Dave Clement