Re: Rust on chrome wheels. Was: RE: Dakota Repairs

From: L. Jacobs (ljacobs@calvin.uchsc.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 22 1996 - 13:11:56 EST

> >the wheels.... Also, someone on the list had posted about using fine grade
> >steel wool to remove the surface rust on the chrome wheels and other chrome
> >pieces. What grade of steel wool should I get?? Can it be found at a Home
> >Depot or a garden-variety hardware store??

I *Highly* recommend WD-40 and average supermarket-variety steel wool (but
not SOS pads, since they contain soap and are more suitable for whitewalls).
Do not use the steel wool on chrome covered plastic, but *do* use it on
bumpers, wheels, other heavy metal. (household steel wool for pots/pans)

Jon was right about chrome polish, but you'll find the WD-40 and steel wool
make for a _fast_ job. As I stated before, put a good coat of wax after
you've thoroughly cleaned the surfaces, this will delay rust buildup.

You will find that (FWIW), steel wool doesn't scratch hard surfaces
like heavy chrome (unless you get some kind of industrial steel wool,
I guess), and I have yet to see it scratch glass, as some people think.

I worked as an auto-detailer many years ago. I have had 'Cudas,
Satellites, Challengers, Super-Stocks, 442's, etc.. etc... and was
never shy about taking steel wool to any of them (though most didn't
have much/any rust, except my 69 GTS). So that's where I'm coming from.

   __
  / / ___ ___ Lee Jacobs
 / / / _ \/ _ \ LJacobs@Calvin.UCHSC.Edu
/ /__| __/ __/ University of Colorado Health Sciences
\____/\___|\___| Big Aspirations, Small Wallet.