RE: 89 4x4

From: DR. Rosenpenis (jstamour@av8r.dwc.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 09 1996 - 23:03:04 EDT

> How much of a power increase did you see with headers? My exhaust is due to be
> replaced and I was thinking of going from the Y pipe back with a 2-1/2" system.
> I can do this for about the same price as stock parts; $85 for a hi-flow cat,
> $25 for a Dyno-Max, $20 for the tail-pipe and $5 for the adapter to go from
> 2-1/2 to the Y pipe.

Well I got headers running into 2 1/4's with two dynomax Super Turbos. I
figure I got about 20hp depending or weather conditions They Mostly Help
out in the high end(which is to be expected). Don't Buy the headers from
mopar.. They don't fit.. The Right one touches the steering shaft and
the left one needed the frame to be cut into.. The Kind Mopar sold me
were "JR" headers.. I think that Edelbrock makes a good set though.. The
Dynomax muffs really impress me.. they are quiet and subtle when I am
driving around town and on the highway, but They get VERY loud during
hard throttle. I have one friend who has an s10 with a 350 and
flowmasters, who said that when I was next to him and I reved my motor he
used the word "deafening" to decribe it.. Which, to me, is very cool.

> >BTW: If Your truck motor is in good working order and you keep it clean,
> >You(depending on the state) will probably not have a problem with passing
> >emissions without a Cat. Al You need to do is make sure your motor is
> >burning all the gas that goes in.
>
> In Mass the idle check limits are 220ppm of HC and 1.2% CO what do you get on
> your truck without the cat?

I don't think you could make it in Mass.. They are pretty tough there..
I don't know what my output is without the cat's. I just wanted a
sticker, but I asked the guy if it madethe emissions test and he said
yeah no problem.. This was at a pretty reputable place too.
I am in Rhode Island.