RE: Question: Power Upgrades

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Thu Apr 11 1996 - 20:02:21 EDT

>Does anyone out there know what would be involved in putting a newer 5.2 liter
>in my 87 Dakota 4x2? It is stock now with the 3.9liter and manual tranny.

Check your local wrecking yards for a totaled '92 and later with a magnum
engine. You're not likely to find one - we must be better drivers than most,
since Dakotas are underrepresented in insurance statistics. I would leave a
business card with shops that seem to do a lot of volume, so they could call
you as soon as one shows up.

If you want a V8, you're going to need the tranny too (MT or AT).

I'm not absolutely certain, but the motor mounts might be different (I don't
think they are). Otherwise, you'll need a shop manual for the year of truck
you scavenge so you can clip out the parts of the wiring harness you'll need.
Of course, you'll need the computer too. And you'll probably have to buy a
complete fuel system from the dealer, since the high pressure fuel lines,
pressure regulator, and return system may not survive the truck getting
totaled. You'll be grabbing the whole long block - accessory belt and all.

This will not be cheap [though one hell of a lot cheaper than a new truck
from Dodge]. I'd expect you'll spend about $5000. Basically more than your
truck is worth. Better plan to keep it, 'cause no one else is likely to
want to buy it. You might want to look at a used newer model, since noise
reduction, switch gear, and fit and finish all improved dramatically with
the '92 facelift. I looked at the '87 when I graduated from college, and
was disappointed. My '93 is VERY NICE in comparison.

Jim
The "Assault Weapons" ban is drive-by legislation. The target: Crime;
the victimized innocent bystander: the lawfully armed Citizen.
     ~*~*~ Tyranny Insurance by Colt's Manufacturing Cos. ~*~*~