RE: Question: Power Upgrades

From: Mel Lester Jr. (meljr@connet80.com)
Date: Fri Apr 12 1996 - 10:31:38 EDT

On Thu, 11 Apr 1996, JT McBride wrote:

> >Does anyone out there know what would be involved in putting a newer 5.2 liter
> >in my 87 Dakota 4x2? It is stock now with the 3.9liter and manual tranny.
>
> Check your local wrecking yards for a totaled '92 and later with a magnum
>
> If you want a V8, you're going to need the tranny too (MT or AT).

I've done a similar conversion (LA style 360 into a '89 Shelby Dakota for
racing) but I am considering a Magnum conversion if I return it to the
street.

> I'm not absolutely certain, but the motor mounts might be different (I don't
> think they are).

You're right, the motor mounts will work, but the fan has to go. The
91's were lengthened in this area. My Shelby has two 14" electric fans ahead
of the radiator and has never overheated, although it sounds like a shop
vac on steroids.

> This will not be cheap [though one hell of a lot cheaper than a new truck
> from Dodge]. I'd expect you'll spend about $5000. Basically more than your

I can buy complete, totaled, V8 Dakotas on the West Coast for $1,500 -
$2,500 and usually recover most or all of that by reselling parts I don't
need.

-mel

| Mel Lester Jr. meljr@ConNet80.com - Operations Manager ConNet80 |
| ConNet80 - PDX's Fast Lane on the Information SuperHighway |
| Connect with ConNet80, it pays! http://www.ConNet80.com/~meljr |