Re: Tire size for Dakota 4x2

From: CSiano@banyan.com
Date: Tue Apr 23 1996 - 09:29:39 EDT

>Speaking of tire sizes: The "faq" at the WWW site that led me to this
>mailing list mentions that 31x9.50 fits great and 31x10.50 rubs "just a
>little". Unfortuneatly it does NOT mention what year or model (ie 4x2 or
>4x4). Does anyone have any experience with these larger tires on older
>model 4x4's? How large can I go on stock rims with no lift kit on my '87
4x4??

Very good point!

One of the reasons I refused to call that data a FAQ is that I don't have
any experience with the 4x2 models and really don't want to claim
otherwise. I'm trying to get as much information as possible so I can
complete my FAQ version. It isn't easy, however.

The "Info Sheet" is almost entirely based on my own truck. A 1994 Regular
cab shortbed 4x4 SLT with the 318 and manual transmission. Any other
model/configuration will differ. At this point, I can only tell you what
works for me.

Just for the record, my 1994 doesn't have a frame mounted fuel filter
either. Needless to say, I was upset.

Oh, for late model 4x4 owners, I came across a little problem you should be
concerned with. The O2 sensor is mounted low and the wires rub the factory
skid plate (I have the skid plate option, so not all trucks may be
affected). It was able to short out the wire and cause false readings of
the O2 and engine performance went WAY down.

To reset the ABS module, you need to totally disconnect the 'brain'. In my
truck, it was under the radio, but it could also be placed behind the
glovebox.

I think that about covers my latest 'A-HA' list.

Christopher Siano | A little Revolution
CSiano@Banyan.com | now and again
    0- | is a good thing.