RE: FW: Indy Pace Truck

From: CSiano@banyan.com
Date: Wed Apr 24 1996 - 08:31:41 EDT

>I was quite taken by the look of the Indy truck because of the paint job
and
>wheel/tires (the 275/60-17's fill the wheel wells nicely). The Ram (even
4x4's)
>looks unbalanced because of the ratio of wheel well size to tire size. I
also
>find the chromed wheels Dodge is using to look like some cheap Wal-Mart
mag-look
>hub cap. I think 16" Predator style (like the Dakota) Aluminum wheels
would be
>much more attractive.

I agree with this entirely!

The largest factory tires on the Ram is the metric equivilent of a 31"
tire. It's amazing how easily a tire that big looks puny on the truck.
Thanks to the use of 16" wheels, upgrading the size is difficult due to
limited tire choices.

Personally, I like the use of larger rim diameters. It allows a taller
tire with less sidewall. Not so much of a benefit in true off-road
situations, but a bonus to street handling while still offering a decent
ground clearance. Also, by using modern aluminum wheel design, the
unsprung weight would be reduced (producing a softer ride and more
controled suspension handling). Not to mention better brake cooling,
higher MPG, and the ability to track the wheel more efficiently. Another
bonus would be a reduction in balance weight required on larger tires.

Anyone know what wheel the new Dakota will have? Is the 6-on-4.5 pattern
going to endure, or are larger rims and bigger bolt patterns being used?

Christopher Siano | A little Revolution
CSiano@Banyan.com | now and again
    0- | is a good thing.