RE: '97 Dakotas

From: Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com
Date: Thu Apr 25 1996 - 17:21:26 EDT

From: rlr@bbt.com@INTERNET on Thu, Apr 25, 1996 1:30 PM

> Perhaps. By "paying accordingly" I meant that in my experience,
>dealers are NOT as willing to bargain on the price of a factory
>order as they are on the price of an existing in-stock vehicle.
>YMMV.
>
> Factory orders seem to be limited in some fashion by the factory (my
>guess is that dealerships who turn over > X vehicles per year get preference
>in special orders). When we were shopping for our '95 Dakota, only one or
>two dealers were up front that they had "allowance" to issue factory orders,
>and came up with almost identical prices. Other dealers were hesitant to
>talk to us about factory orders. Still others were completely unwilling
>to talk about factory orders, and said if it isn't in-stock or within the
>state, they couldn't help us.

I have never heard of anything like what you are talking about on a non-limited
availablity vehicle. There is certainly no lack of availability on Dakotas.
Every dealer in my area has anywhere from 6 to 20 on the lot. There is certainly
a desire on their part to sell these first because they pay interest on them
sitting there but unless it is the end of the model year and the factory is not
excepting any more orders for the current year there is no reason why a dealer
can't order you what you want. Some dealers are creative in placing their floor
plan models and will have a variety of configurations others order the exact
same vehicle every time and only vary the color.

Typically a customer order will take preference over a dealer floor plan order
at the factory. Dealers will/can substitute floor plan orders in the build que
at the factory with a customer order. The factory determines what dealers are
allowed to have as floor plans (how many and of which models they can get with
out a customer order) but I have never heard of a limit on placing customer
orders.

My shopping approach has always been;
. to determine what a dealer is willing to sell in relation to invoice price.
$200-$300 over invoice is typical, high volume dealers get more hold back and
are willing to go lower (I had a dealer willing to sell me a 95 Stratus for $100
over invoice and include a $1000 rebate last fall but I could not locate an
exceptable vehicle on a lot and I would not order a 96 until more info on the
specs were availble).
. if I have a trade determine what they are willing to give me in relation to
wholsale value. I want more than NADA Wholsale Value but will take wholsale in
most cases or will sell privately. This is the only nebulus area in my
negotiations.
. discuss the vehicle I want. I give the dealer the opportunity to locate one
but normally I place an order. I give the dealer a week, then request a copy of
the factory confirmation to make sure the order is placed correctly. I usually
get the dealer to confirm the scheduled build date and cofirm that it is in the
build cycle. All of this information is available on line at the dealer.

If the dealer is not willing to negotiate from this position I walk because
there is always a dealer down the street that will.

Dave Clement