RE: '97 Dakotas

From: Ron Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Thu Apr 25 1996 - 18:10:57 EDT

>> Factory orders seem to be limited in some fashion by the factory [...]
>>two dealers were up front that they had "allowance" to issue factory orders,

>I have never heard of anything like what you are talking about on a
>non-limited availablity vehicle.

  Hey man, all I know is what they tell me. If I walk in to 10 dealers
knowing that no Dakota exists in the world with the options I want (I
already had a Southeast state search fail), and 2 start talking about
their "allowance" and can order the vehicle in 6 weeks, but 2 effectively
tell me to hit the road and 6 others try to get me to buy off the lot,
it indicates a trend. Interpret as you wish.

>unless it is the end of the model year and the factory is not
>excepting any more orders for the current year there is no reason why a dealer
>can't order you what you want.

  This doesn't mean that all dealers are willing to order what I want.
In my case, many weren't. Admittedly, this was very close to the end
of the '95 model year. We squeaked our order into the system within
36 hours of the deadline.

>I have never heard of a limit on placing customer orders.

  Note that my original statement was offered as idle speculation (i.e.
"seems like") and not presented as objective fact.

>If the dealer is not willing to negotiate from this position I walk because
>there is always a dealer down the street that will.

  That's exactly what we did! And now I'm very happy with a Dakota
optioned _exactly_ like I wanted.

  Ron