RE: External Fuel Filter

From: Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com
Date: Thu Apr 25 1996 - 18:20:51 EDT

From: tschmal@iseg14.imd.cig.mot.com@INTERNET on Thu, Apr 25, 1996 12:02 PM
Subject: Re: External Fuel Filter

>I have been following this thread, and I have a comment to make. Where Ron is
>suggesting to put the filter would be easy to get to, but there is one problem
>with this location. The filter would be very close to the engine, and all of
>the heat it makes. I did this on an older car, and it liked to boil the gas out
>of the filter when ever I turned off the engine. The way the Dakota's pump is
>at the gas tank it might not matter, but it is something to think about. You
>should also watch the position of the filter, some are supposed to be
>horizontal, and won't work very well if they are not.

If everything is working properly there is always presure in the system so
boiling sould not be an issue (if the older car you refer to has a mechanical
fuel pump the gas is drawn through the filter). Also, my EFI Ford with an in
tank fuel pump has the filter mounted to the fender well from the factory. The
filter used in my 89 Dakota and Daytonas mounts horizontally. Again on a
presurized system the orentation should not be a problem.

Todd, nice to see another Motorolian on the list.

Dave Clement
Motorola ISG
89 4x4