Re: Tire size for Dakota 4x2

From: Kelly Moss (kellym@zipnet.net)
Date: Sat Apr 27 1996 - 22:22:28 EDT

Regarding tyre sizes/rim widths... I have a 5-spd 3.9 4x2 extended cab
with an LSD, so bear that in mind (oh, a '95 with 33,000 miles on it).

OEM rims are 6", that means unless you drop to a 186/195, you're stuck
with 70 profile or higher - otherwise the sidewalls will be so bowed that
you'll get less grip, not more, plus your steering response will go down
the tubes too. 205/70x15 fit 6" rims, and match the rolling diameter of
the base model's 195 tyres, so just swap the speedo drive gear ($10 part).
If you go with 205/70 for your snow tyres, you can then run 215/65 or
235/60 tyres on 7" or 8", and have the correct 195 rolling diameter - the
205/70's are actually a little large, but... To run the stock rolling
diameter you're looking at 16" rims - short of BBS, OZ or Compomotive
split rims, to the best of my knowlege you're SOL for 16's. I'm running
205/70x15 Bridgestone Blizzaks (yes...), which generate enough turn-in
response to hit the bump-stops on my worn-out oem heavy duty shocks
(second replacement set, under warranty yet again... Bilsteins in the
front room waiting to go on !). On the stock (factory heavy duty
option) suspension, I've got enough grip from the blizzaks to generate
motorcyle lean angles... And it looks like I'll get 20,000 from these,
just like the oem Goodyears, except the Blizzaks don't scream their heads
off in corners, the brakes work much better, the ride's better and they
have much better grip (specially in the rain !). Go figure...

Charles (posting from his better half's account)

----- End of forwarded message from Kelly Moss -----