Re: Sure-Grip noise?

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Mon Apr 29 1996 - 14:07:00 EDT

>>Mine doesn't make any funny noises, but at about 22,000 miles it started
>>getting reluctant to kick in...At least, 22,000 is when the snow arrived,
>>and I noticed that if one wheel had traction and the other didn't it would
>>spin for a few seconds and then clunk into action. I have also noticed

> I would try changing the rear end oil,that helped on my Ramcharger.Use a

I agree. Use a synthetic that has the same viscosity cold. Redline makes a good
one that has no sulfur compunds. Not the absolute best for heavy duty towing,
but best for street and offroad use where water condensation or intrusion is
a concern. For towing, Amsoil makes a sulfur-compound synthetic.

There's also a good chance you're not exercising the clutch pack enough. Every
so often you ought to peel out with one wheel on gravel (or something slick)
and the other wheel on dry pavement.

>>that this is more prevalent when the right rear loses traction - I have no
 Isn't this because the preload is slightly off? You need to shim up one side
or the other to fix it. Given the low miles though, I suspect it's just not
broken in yet.

>>he also sees nothing wrong with the (ABS) brakes locking solid the first
>>couple of applications in the morning either...

Do you have the four-channel Kelsey-Hayes setup? Do you hear the ABS valves
clicking when it locks up? Sounds more like a bad proportioning valve than
anything wrong with the ABS.

> On the brakes,a LOT of people are having big problems with Chrysler
>products brakes(ABS). There is a silent recall going on,SO SPEAK UP AT YOUR

I think this applies to the Bendix setup on the minivans. I don't know what
other cars have had problems. Oh, and it's not just Chrysler. All the car
companies are having maintenance problems. ABS isn't receiving the extra
service it needs - you NEED to bleed the brakes every year, more often if
(like me) you give the ABS a workout. I use DOT 4 fluid too.

My K-H was serviced under recall to increase the size of the wastegate valve.
It now actually dumps too much fluid with each pulse. Works though.

Jim
Gun Control = Life Control = Vote Control = Speech Control = Opinion Control
  _
 |_) o r n FREE, \/ O T E FREE, /--\ r m e d & FREE, |_ I V E FREE !

     ~*~*~ Tyranny Insurance by Colt's Manufacturing Cos. ~*~*~