Sure-Grip noise?

From: TeamGTZ@aol.com
Date: Mon Apr 22 1996 - 20:04:59 EDT

Anyone had problems with their SG differential? Lately, I've been hearing a
"grinding" noise in the truck somewhere, and I have the sneaking suspicion
that it's coming from the pig. The noise only occurs when I take off in
first from a dead stop, and I'm turning immediately (i.e., when I'm making a
turn right out of a stoplight or stop sign). My truck is a 95 Club Cab 2wd
V8 5-speed w/3.55 Sure-Grip. I've come to the deduction that the noise is
coming from the diff because it only occurs at the above mentioned times
(albeit sporadically) when the two rear wheels are turning at comparitively
different rates. Naturally, when I try to recreate this sound for a
serviceperson, the truck sounds fine. But it still happens fairly
frequently, otherwise. Is this common? Should I be concerned? BTW, the
truck has been slightly lowered, but I did take precautions to maintain the
factory driveline angle, so I don't think that would be a reason for the
noise. Thanks for any advice.